Friday 8 June 2012

Poppy Meadow

Poppies are one of my favourite flowers, I love seeing them growing wild at the side of the road when I driving home from my work, so I couldn't resist  this stamp set called "Poppy Meadow" from a relatively new company "Indigo Blu" from UK. I also got some Flitterglu (Indigo Blu's own new stamping glue) and some pretty guilding flakes.

This was the first time I've used Flitter glue. It comes in a wee tub, you load a tiny scoop of this onto a small bit of stamping foam, work it into the foam, then "ink up your stamp" with it. The glue dries but remains tacky indefinitely when you stamp with it, (with the stamped image, stored away carefully, you could still add your guilding flakes to it next month or even later they said, though it may stick to unwanted stuff if you're not careful).
The detail is amazing when you use foil leaf guiling flakes on the stamped image. I was really impressed.
You can also use other things on it like mica powder pigments, pan pastels, chalks or flock though I've not tried these myself.

I love poppies (I think I said that already!) and I can't wait for the giant poppies in my garden to flower. The plant has around 8 or 9 big flower buds on it just now, so it shouldn't be long.

Anyway back to my Poppy card.



I used Lancashire Rose guilding flakes, which are mainly a mix of golds, reds and copper tones with a tiny bit of warm green and silver flakes too, so very pretty. The background was coloured with alcohol inks, I used more red around the poppy head.

The word stamp is from the same set but it's harder to see in the photo.
Using the multi-coloured flakes wasn't the best idea with the wording, so I highlighted it with a fine black pen. In hindsight I should have used a plain coloured guiding flake so the words would read clearer, or just used black ink instead.
I totally believe in this sentiment though "We do not own the earth. Walk gently upon it, so that future generations may do the same."


Have a great day.

Alexandra

3 comments:

  1. This is downright dreamy, Alexandra! I love how you highlighted the sentiment, and you had just the perfect flower to use as an accent. That rarely happens. Beautiful border. Great clarity with the white against the red. Looks like a beautiful stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, I forgot to say how I created the flower I used 2 Spellbinders dies, Rose Creations (S5-050) and
      a leaf fron the Foliage set (S4-328).
      The black poppy centre was cut using the small Crealies die (CL CS 09), these dies have lots of small intricate shapes in them, great for building flowers.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Alexandra,
    Poppies are one of my favorite flowers, I just wish they would bloom longer! What a gorgeous card, I can imagine it is even prettier in person. The colors are fantastic and
    I like the paper lace that you added to the bottom, such a nice touch!
    Just added a poppy card to my blog! Used some cashmere for the background with the poppy heat embossed into it.
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting here. I hope you enjoy your visit.
I love hearing from you, and your comments are much appreciated.